Pages

Sunday 21 September 2014

it is a rough road that leads to the heights of greatness - lucius annaeus seneca

New Heights Stamp Set by Simply Gorjuss Urban Stamps was the inspiration for this birthday card for my mother-in-law.  We all know someone in our lives who pushes us to be better versions of ourselves.  My mother-in-law is one of those people, in my life, who pushes me to new heights.
From 130-lb white cardstock I cut out a triangle (math folks look away; it's not really a triangle.  Yes, I know triangles only have three sides.  I took creative liberty) quadrangle (is that really a word?) and layered on strips of washi tape.  I picked out the little ms. heights colours before I started my washi layering and selected my washi tape with those colours in mind, so that the card was pulled together and had continuity.  I also slipped in some tribute washi: music and Paris.  My mother-in-law loves music and traveling.

The little butterfly and sign are both from this seven-piece set. Can you believe the level of cuteness?  I know most of you have gasped at the complete disconnect with my usual more intense style (I can be cute.  I own a smiling frog and a fox) but seriously how can you not love the Gorjuss series?  I plan on getting many many more (look away mr. everythingshetouches).  And if you live in the greater Edmonton area you too can find many of these darling stamp sets at The Inked Stamper.  

I embossed the sign with my wood embossing folder and distressed the raised image with vintage photo distress ink.  The butterfly was coloured using coloured pencils and highlighted with bronze stickles.

 

ms. heights was coloured using colour pencils.  I chose coloured pencils as the medium because I wanted to give her a bit of an airy feeling, to keep the card light and bright.  And I added a few pieces of sequence because, quite frankly, who doesn't love a bit of good sequence?

Little ms. heights will be one of my very first Etsy Shoppe posts next month.  She will come in a four card pack in different colours, made to order.  Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment